Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Do we really need... 4G service?





If you are friends or family, you are completely confused by the title of this blog.  If you are not, you might be wondering why my friends and family are confused.  Why you ask?  I am a complete tech geek...  well, almost - I was in a conversation about over-clocking processors and found the conversation ridiculously boring.  I'm sorry, in a world of quad-core processors and 64gigs of ram, we really don't have to over-clock shit.

Backstory.

For the past year and a half (1.5 years folks), I have had the pleasure of owning a Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate with 3G technology.  One of the best Android phones on the market (at the time).  It was remarkable.  This phone was everything the iPhone attempted to be, but was better because it wasn't created by Apple.  My wife and I had an unlimited data plan, on the larger-than-competition Verizon network.  Life was grand.

Recently, after my phones' charging port had failed, I upgraded to the newer, ever-so-much-cooler Samsung Galaxy S3.  What a phone!  However, it came equipped with the newest generation of data-transfer technology...  4G.  I was smitten (at first).  I had no idea data could transfer at such rapid speeds out of thin air.  I literally had a hard-on while playing with the phone at the Verizon store (which was rather uncomfortable), and found ways to show off my new device in any conversation I had participated in.  However, the love of this new relationship would quickly diminish, because I had no idea how quickly the love would end.

4 gigabytes of data?  OK!

With the new phone, we lost our unlimited data.  That didn't seem terrible because they gave us 4 gigabytes, a lot right?  Well, it is when your device can only transfer data so fast.  When you are on the largest 4G network (and don't even have to turn on 4G, the phone just KNOWS!), you tend to gobble up data pretty quickly!  Verizon did a great job building a state-of-the-art network, and did a great job marketing it as well... they had some funny commercials.

Remember the "can you hear me now?" guy from the ad campaigns?  My, how the company has grown since then...  Yes, we can friggin hear you!  We can also instantly get your Facebook updates, Google+ updates, emails, weather info, your new drawing on draw with friends, your useless 140 character tweets, and every-f*cking-thing else that you may want to tell us immediately!

This shit is too fast!  Let me give you an example as to why that is actually a bad thing : I use my phone as the music player in my car.  I have music A.D.D., and skip songs all of the time.  This damn 4G shit is so fast that it can buffer the entire song at once!  So if I want to skip it, guess what?  I've already used the data to buffer the song.  Hey, f*ck you Verizon!  Sometimes I want to skip a song!  Now I can't, because I have to keep track of my data that YOU made it easier to use, and stopped allowing unlimited data to be available!

Now, I will say that I have never been more satisfied with any other cellphone company, so I will not be getting rid of Verizon any time soon.  We just have a very abusive relationship with each other, and I am very mad that I have to pay an additional $10 per 2gb / month if I want to use more data.  F*ck you Verizon!

Final Analysis.


OK, 4g is pretty awesome stuff.  It is fast and makes shit happen instantly.  I am all for it.  I guess I was just a little angry at losing unlimited data.  I am going to have to get used to running Wi-Fi at any place that has it available, because I am not getting rid of my sexy new mobile device, and I am certainly not joining Sprint's useless shitty network.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.