Thursday, May 10, 2012

Do we really need... Instructional farewells?





So during work today I was leaving one of our suppliers who supplies us with - well - supplies, and the gentleman said "Goodbye" to which I replied "take care".  As I was exiting the building I thought "wait, did I just add to his 'to-do' list"?!  This poor guy probably has a boss, breathing down his neck all day, and now a complete stranger just gave him another task!

My future looks bleak.

Now I am doomed.  Anytime I hear someone say "take care", I am going to feel like our departure was left unfinished.  As if, for some unknown circumstances, there was information they were trying to give me but couldn't.  What do I need to "take care" of?  Take care of WHAT?!?  The lawn?  Myself?  Grocery shopping?   My wife (you know what I am talking about)?

I know how utterly ridiculous this may sound (did you not read my Welcome?), but my point is, a farewell should not come off as an instruction!  When I leave your home, office, or presence, that last thing I want to hear is "Hey...  do this", no matter how friendly it might be.  Then I do the complete opposite.  So if you say: "Take care", my response is to smoke a bunch of cigarettes and drink a bunch of beers in retaliation.

"Have a great day" - I'm looking at you.


This one is slightly worse.  This farewell assumes one of two things.

1. You believe the person is not nearly as intelligent as you are to wake up and say: "Today is going to be great", so you pass on your wisdom in the form of an obnoxious reminder.

2. You have the ability to make someone who is having a bad day think for a second and say: "Oh yeah!  That sounds like a GREAT idea!  Thanks!"  (A little abusive with the exclamation points for that one.)

Either way, you look like a complete and total asshole.

Final Analysis.


Let's totally nix instructions from traditional farewells.  Let's try and stick to "So long", "Goodbye", and "Hasta la Vista....  baby" and we will do much better as a human race.

Oh, and check out my archives!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.