Thursday, May 3, 2012

Do we really need... Hot beverage warnings?





Have you ever been to Starbucks and requested a coffee (I know... asking for a plain coffee in Starbucks is quite a challenge), and then were surprised that it was hot?  Of course not...  Unless you are from a place that doesn't have electricity and running water (like Russia), we all know that coffee is hot.  So is hot tea, hot chocolate, and a whole list of beverages that begin with the word "hot".

True story

Some people even order coffee by saying: "I will have a hot coffee please", even though the "hot" is implied.

Another true story

It has become increasingly popular to order a cold version of coffee.  This is only referred to as "iced coffee".  The word "iced" would imply that if a man spilled this on his lap, intense shrinkage would follow.

Anyways, I digress.

The beginning of this madness

A random woman ordered a coffee from McDonald's, she probably ordered food as well (she was also probably fat... a lot of speculation going on here)...  As she was handed the coffee and attempted to jam it between her emergency-break and seat (remember when cars seamed to lack cup holders?), she spilled it on herself.  From what I understand, she burned herself pretty badly - but it wasn't her fault.  How dare they serve her a beverage at the temperature that particular beverage is normally enjoyed?

She sued the SHIT out of McDonalds and is now a millionaire, well she was...  She probably blew all of her money on stupid stuff.  

Anyways, I digress.

I'm looking at you, lawyers

This would be a non-issue if there weren't attorneys that entertained the idea:  "OK, so you ordered a coffee..  OK..  and next you took a sip?  Well, did you blow on it? No, ok...  we'll just leave that out...  and WHAT?  You burned your tongue?!?  OK, we will sue for $25million...  They will settle out for $5million!"

I know, I know...  That was a stretch.  My point is, why are lawyers so eager to sue over people's random acts of clumsiness?  Of course the larger companies just settle out of court.  They don't want to spend the money fighting the case.  If I ran McDonald's, I would've opted to take the high road.  Instead of turning this lady into a McMillionaire, I would've fought with every dime I had to ensure she didn't touch mine (money...  pervert).  But, that's me.

Final Analysis

Get rid of those damn things.  We are getting dumb'd down as it is...  Let's start giving people the benefit of the doubt (woah)...  Ok, so maybe we do need them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.