Sunday, April 29, 2012

Do we really need... Smart Cars?





I can hop into the mind (anyday) of a person trying to save the environment...  I am trying to save the environment with you!  I believe a healthy planet is a clean planet is a good planet is a planet I enjoy living on... is a planet (I might have taken that one a little far).

I love driving "smart" - so much to the point that I navigate a Hyundai Elantra (all-leather interior) and my wife drives a shitty Toyota Yaris (not all-leather interior).  Between the two of us, we enjoy fantastic gas-mileage.  Not only do we get great gas mileage; we can take our things where we need to, have back-seat space, and have a place to put my future son.  We once traveled to Ohio (in the Elantra) with our dog, the dog's enormous crate, and all of our stuff.  With plenty of room to spread out (for me to spread out, I am not sure if she had equal space...  I didn't ask).

There's a new kid on the block


It's not Jordan Knight...  It's the Smart Car.  What is the Smart Car you ask?  I am not too sure.  I do know it combines the excitement of driving a go-cart with getting into an accident while driving a motorcycle.  Sounds fun doesn't it?

These things are hideous!  They call them "Smart Cars" because their owners can purchase them for less than $7,000!  They also get great gas-mileage...  Which makes the people who purchase them "smart".  Please tell me you guys have seen these things!

You were so smart, you bought a Smart Car to save money.  NOW, you have to rent a hatchback to go grocery shopping.  You have to rent a van to take your kid's friends to the mall.  You have to rent a sedan to feel like you are in a full size luxury car!

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...  Well, you can't


Someone help me out here.  What is the benefit to these tiny things? - I have no idea.

Work this one out with me.  I don't own a truck.  So anytime I need to move something, I have to employ the help of someone who does own one [a truck].  I don't own an SUV, so anytime my wife and I travel somewhere with multiple people, we never drive.  Now let me reach - anytime my wife and I need to travel with less people than the both of us, we rent a Smart Car!

See?  There is less benefit to owning one of these things than there is a Mazda Miata...  Less the fact that a Miata looks much cooler.  I won't end this saying we DON'T need Smart Cars, we would just be better off in a world with people who didn't buy them.

1 comment:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.